Wyalong Soldiers Memorial School of Arts
World War 1 Memorials Project
Cowra is an important town of 9000 people located in the Central Western Region, 310km west from Sydney.
The Cowra School of Arts and the Soldiers’ Memorial Hall stood on the site now occupied by the Cowra Services Club. The pair of Memorial Gates erected in 1920 to honour those who served in WW1 are all that remains of those buildings, today.
The School of Arts grew from a single room built on Crown Land, dedicated for that purpose, to four rooms by 1896. It housed Cowra’s first library from1889 and Cowra Municipal Council until 1901.
A billiard room was added in1905, a card room and space for the local sub-Branch of RSL were added in1919. Finally, the adjacent Soldiers’ Memorial Hall was erected in 1920.
The Cowra Soldiers’ Memorial Hall and the School of Arts were demolished in 1964 to provide a site for the new Cowra and District Services Club that was opened on November 7th 1964 by the Governor of NSW Sir John Northcott.
AMISA NSW Inc.
280 Pitt Street,
Sydney NSW 2000
ABN 36 456 356 023