Gundy Literary Institute / Soldiers' Memorial Hall
World War 1 Memorials Project
Gundy is a locality of 200 people in the Upper Hunter, 190km from Sydney.
The Gundy Literary Institute was originally founded as the Gundy Reading Room, which was housed in the old Rectory. It was renamed the Gundy Mechanics’ Institute when it moved into its own premises erected in 1903. It later changed its name to the Gundy Literary Institute.
Some 40 men from Gundy volunteered for and served in WW1 of these 8 were killed. In July 1921 a meeting of returned servicemen was convened with the object of raising funds to finance the building of a Soldiers’ Memorial Hall. Later, other local citizens were co-opted to the Committee. Over the next two years fund raising activities, including race meetings, dances and other entertainments, were vigorously pursued.
Finally and quite quickly, the new Gundy Soldiers’ Memorial Hall was completed and officially opened by Mr H L White of Belltrees on July 18th 1923.
AMISA NSW Inc.
280 Pitt Street,
Sydney NSW 2000
ABN 36 456 356 023