Katoomba School of Arts

World War 1 Memorials Project

Click photos to see full-sized images.

Katoomba is a large town of 8000 people located in the Blue Mountains region, 110km from Sydney.

The Katoomba School of Arts was founded in 1889. At first the trustees leased Fern Cottage next to historic Balmoral House, in which to operate. Later in 1890s the School occupied, at no charge, part of the Council Chambers in Park Street. In the early 1900s a site in Katoomba Street was acquired and a fine weatherboard building built in stages over the following years. Ultimately, the building provided a hall, the library and reading room, and a billiard room

At the Katoomba School of Arts Silver Jubilee celebrations held Friday 17th July 1914, the toast was:

Katoomba School of Arts
May heaven upon it – its blessings bestow
And preserve it as pure as our Blue Mountains snow
And while heaven upon it — that blessing imparts
May we be ever proud of our grand school of arts.

These sentiments did not completely prevail and by the 1970s the School’s premises had passed from the trustees to the local Council and the building was demolished.

Fortunately, the site has continued to be used for Library and other community purposes. Moreover, the Library has preserved some fine photographs to commemorate this important piece of social infrastructure that served it community so well for many years.

Archives

AMISA NSW Inc.

280 Pitt Street,
Sydney NSW 2000

ABN 36 456 356 023