Moree Memorial Hall / School of Arts
World War 1 Memorials Project
Click photos to see full-sized images.
Moree is a large town of 9500 people located at the junction of the Gwydir and Newell Highways in the Northern region, 628 km from Sydney.
The Sydney Morning Herald of Wednesday 25th April 1923 reported on the official opening of the Moree Memorial Hall and School of Arts and Soldiers’ Club by the Governor of NSW, Sir Walter Davidson KCMG, in the section of the newspaper headed “Buildings and Works”. Not surprisingly then the article focuses on technical aspects of the construction process and gives the reader a very good understanding of the buildings as they were built.
Both the Memorial Hall and the School of Arts, which stand side by side facing Bale Street, are reinforced concrete buildings, a then new mode of construction. The Soldiers’ Club is a separate weatherboard building at the rear of the School of Arts but is connected to that building by an awning.
The Memorial Hall is described as an impressive and very useful community resource designed in the simple classic style along fairly severe lines in keeping with the dignity of its purpose.
The Hall is entered through a spacious portico, in which will be placed the Honour Roll, with the names cut in granite. The names of those who made the supreme sacrifice will be on a separate tablet from that which records those who served. The hall with a seating capacity of 1100 has a large stage with extensive backstage facilities. Moreover, the hall is fully equipped to operate as cinema.
The School of Arts is similarly constructed in concrete and provides an entrance hall, committee and meeting rooms, the library and reading room. The Soldiers’ Club consists of an assembly room [which could also be used for social functions], a clubroom, a kitchen, and the billiard room.
Eventually control of the Memorial Hall was transferred from the Hall’s Trustees to the local Council and 92 years later the Memorial Hall continues to serve its community.
AMISA NSW Inc.
280 Pitt Street,
Sydney NSW 2000
ABN 36 456 356 023