Pambula School of Arts / Town Hall
World War 1 Memorials Project
Click photos to see full-sized images.
Pambula is a small town of 1000 people located in the Bega Valley on the Far South Coast region 475km from Sydney.
As the only institution of its kind in Pambula, the local Town Hall has long been at the heart of the village. Originally known as the Pambula School of Arts, it was erected in1883, across the road from where it stands now. In 1922, it was dismantled piece-by-piece and re-erected with several additions, on its present location. It has been the focal point of the social life of the district where balls and dances were held, the library housed and moving pictures shown.
The WWI Roll of Honour, listing local residents who had served in the war was organised by the Pambula Branch of the Australian Red Cross and manufactured by Wunderlich. The Roll of Honour was unveiled on the porch of the Pambula Post Office in 1921. In 1937, when the Post Office burnt down, the memorial was recovered undamaged. It was re-located to the School of Arts/Town Hall.
AMISA NSW Inc.
280 Pitt Street,
Sydney NSW 2000
ABN 36 456 356 023