Scone Soldiers' Memorial School of Arts

World War 1 Memorials Project

 

Scone Soldiers' Memorial School of Arts - Unveiling of memorial arch 26 August 1924. Image courtesy of the Scone and Upper Hunter Historical Society.

Scone Soldiers’ Memorial School of Arts – Unveiling of memorial arch 26 August 1924. Image courtesy of the Scone and Upper Hunter Historical Society.

Scone is a town of 5000 people located in Upper Hunter region, 270km from Sydney.

The original Scone School of Arts seems to date from 1868 and an earlier Reading Society from 1841 making it one of the earliest group of such schools to be established in NSW, though it was1873 before its original building was completed. Over the years, the building was added to on many occasions and it became an important local community resource. This building was resumed by the Military during WW I

After the War it was decided to erect a new building, the Scone Soldiers’ Memorial School of Arts, to replace the old School. The old School is still standing just around the corner from the new. Over time, it has served many uses and is now a private residence. The new School was opened in March 1924 and the Memorial Arch was unveiled in August that same year.

Post WW II, the Scone Soldiers’ Memorial School of Arts was transferred to the Scone Shire Council and served as the local public library. When new Council Chambers were built, the Library was transferred to the old Council Chambers. The Council sold the Soldiers’ Memorial School of Arts building. The new owners agreed to maintain the Memorial Arch, which still stands at the front of the building. This is the venue for the local ANZAC Day service each year.

The Soldiers’ Memorial Arch only contains the names of those who did not return. Later at the local hospital, when a War Memorial children’s ward was built, there was erected a memorial that contains the names of all those who enlisted from Scone.

Archives

AMISA NSW Inc.

280 Pitt Street,
Sydney NSW 2000

ABN 36 456 356 023