West Wyalong Sailors and Soldiers Memorial Literary Institute
World War 1 Memorials Project
West Wyalong is a town of 2700 people located in the Central West region, 487km from Sydney.
The West Wyalong School of Arts was built before 1900 and by the 1920s was beginning to show its age. It was demolished in 1923 in order to build a fine new community resource, the West Wyalong Sailors and Soldiers Memorial Literary Institute. The Literary Institute operated on the ground floor while the Soldiers and Sailors Club occupied the upper floor.
At the opening of the new building the Chairman Mr J Duffy stressed that the new building had not been built to glorify war but to remember those who had fallen and to honour those who had served, to remind people of what the “boys” had done and to emphasise the great cost of war.
Today the building is still serving its community as a Community Health Centre.
AMISA NSW Inc.
280 Pitt Street,
Sydney NSW 2000
ABN 36 456 356 023